Government of New Brunswick

What is the Post Adoption Disclosure Register?

It was established as a means for adult adoptees and birth relatives to contact each other. Contact between adoptees and birth relatives can be facilitated if both parties place their name on the register. We also conduct searches on behalf of both adoptees and birth relatives for each other.


How do I register?

You may place your name on the register by completing the registration form available on this site or by contacting us (see contact information) to obtain a registration form

What is non-identifying information?

It is information taken from the files kept at the time of the adoption, not current information. It is not intended to reveal the identity of another person.

For an adoptee or adoptive parent, non-identifying information on the birth family may include: the physical descriptions of the birth parents, their age and educational level, their religion, racial origin, interests, relationship, medical histories, circumstances at the time of the adoption and any other information considered non-identifying.

For a birth parent or birth sibling, non-identifying information on the adoptive family may include the age and educational level of the adoptive parents, the length of their marriage, whether they had other children, their motivation to adopt, their religion and interests as well as other information considered non-identifying.

Who can obtain non-identifying information?

Adoptees 19 years of age or over, adoptive parents, birth parents and birth siblings.

What is identifying information?

Any information which would tend to reveal the identity of another person, including a person’s name, address and telephone number as well as other information considered identifying by the Department.

Who can obtain identifying information?

Identifying information can be disclosed with the written consent of the person to whom it pertains.


Can my name be removed from the register?

Yes you may remove your name from the register at any time by sending your request in writing.

What if I live in New Brunswick but I was adopted in another province?

Each province maintains it own adoption records so you must register for Post Adoption Disclosure Services in the province where your adoption was finalized through the court.


What happens if the birth relative I'm trying to find has not registered?

You may request a search for a birth relative who has not registered.


What happens if you cannot find my birth relative?

We will make every effort to locate your birth relative but if we are unsuccessful, you will be advised.

What happens when a birth relative is found and agrees to contact?

You will both be given an opportunity to exchange letters and photos via Post Adoption Services. It will be necessary for both you and your birth relative to sign a written consent before identifying information can be exchanged between you.

What if my birth relative is deceased?

We will attempt to connect you with another birth family member. If all close birth family members are also deceased, you can be provided with identifying information on your deceased birth relative.

What if my birth relative refuses contact?

The service is a voluntary one so if a birth relative refuses contact, their decision is respected and no information that identifies them will be divulged.

How can I obtain medical history on my birth family?

Whatever medical history that was recorded in the file at the time of the adoption will be included in the non-identifying information provided to an adoptee, but in older adoptions this is usually very limited. An adoptee can also request a priority medical search.


What is a priority medical search?

An adoptee who is experiencing significant health problems can request that a search be conducted for birth family members in order to obtain current and comprehensive medical history from them. This request must be accompanied by a doctor’s recommendation.