Renovated to Reflect its Original Charm
In 1990 a government study developed a conceptual plan for Government House and formed the basis for the renovation project that began in 1995. The study took into account such factors as history, preservation and conservation, interpretation, contribution, operation, management and funding. Public consultation confirmed the need to develop a use that would maximize public access and activity. A committee comprised of the three levels of government and volunteers worked with the architect and his consultants to develop a renovation philosophy.
The renovation was completed in fall 1998 on time and on budget for $5.5 million with the support of the Government of Canada, the Province of New Brunswick and the City of Fredericton. The mandate of the once in a lifetime project was to return Government House to its Confederation-era splendour and maximize public use. The cooperation of the three levels of government and the efforts of skilled New Brunswick craftspeople, designers, construction workers, staff, and volunteers turned the idea into reality.
The main floor drawing room was renovated to match the 1835 painting "Indian Dance," which depicts a New Year's levee that took place in the room. The drapery, carpets and walls of the drawing room were reproduced carefully so that the room closely resembles its original design.